Finchley Lawn Tennis Club is affiliated to the LTA. All members agree to be bound by the following rules when entering the FLTC Premises, or when representing FLTC away during league matches or club competitions:
- FLTC Club Constitution and Rules
- FLTC/LTA Code of Conduct
- LTA Rules and Disciplinary Code
FLTC Club Rules
1. The rules of lawn tennis, as they may be fixed from time to time by the Lawn Tennis Association, shall be the rules of lawn tennis for the club.
2. Whilst on court Members, visitors and clients of the coaching staff are required to wear appropriate sports clothing at ALL times, and non-marking tennis shoes that will not damage the playing surface of the courts.
3. Playing times: play shall not commence before 8am nor continue after 10.00pm on any day.
4. A member may play at any permitted time, depending on court availability when official coaching sessions, matches, tournaments are taking place.
5. The Board system will operate during social play: Sunday 9AM – 1PM and Wednesday 6PM – 10PM.
The procedures for operating the board system are listed below:
Members will on arrival move their name tab from the absent section to the present.
The first player in the present section will choose three players to make a set from the first SEVEN in the present section and transfer their four name tabs on to the court they will use.
Tabs in the present section will then move along and the first player will have their choice.
Any player who declines to play in a set will have their name tab placed at the back of the queue.
The chosen four will play one set only (seven point tie breaks will be played at six all.) On completion of the set the court will be vacated and one of the winning pair will move their partner and their own tab to back of the queue followed by those of the losing pair.
When a player has finished for the session they will move their name tab to the absent section.
Members may not start to play singles when three or more other members are waiting to play.
6. Club Tournament: The Tennis Committee shall be responsible for agreeing all arrangements concerning Club Tournaments.
7. Selection for teams shall be the decision of the relevant team captains.
8. Tennis balls will be provided for social play, external club matches, internal club tournament finals and other events authorized by the Tennis Committee.
9. Smoking, spitting and chewing gum is not allowed on the courts.
10. The last member to leave the Club shall be responsible for ensuring that all doors and windows in the Tennis Club House are closed and locked. The last member to leave shall also ensure that the floodlights shut down appropriately.
11. The committee accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to personal property.
12. Glass bottles or containers should not be taken on to the tennis courts.
13. A fee of £3 must be paid for all guests before starting play and their name entered in the Visitors’ Book with the name of the club member accompanying the visitor. Fees must be paid to a committee member. The honesty box must be used if nobody is available to take the fee. An individual may play as a guest a maximum of three times per year. Visitors may only play with a club member and they cannot use club facilities without a club member or a committee member present.
14. Members should remove all used balls and litter (water bottles, ball cans, pressure lids, tissues, wrappers) when leaving the courts.
A copy of the FLTC Constitution can be found in the club house.
FLTC/LTA Code of Conduct
As a family club certain behaviour and standards are required of our members. Members are expected to conduct themselves in an orderly and proper manner while on club premises and comply with any relevant club rules or regulations. The following are examples of unacceptable behaviour:
Abusive or foul language
Derogatory comments about the opposition or partner
Damage to the club’s facilities
Any members encountering such behaviour, should report the issue in writing/e-mail to the Men’s or Ladies’ Captain or other member of the Tennis Committee. Please note that these complaints will be dealt with in confidence and the issue will be raised at the next Tennis Committee meeting and will be dealt with in line with the Tennis Section complaints procedure. The committee has the power to reprimand, suspend or expel any member who shall infringe the Club Rules.
Click here for the LTA’s rules of Conduct.
LTA Rules and Disciplinary Code
The LTA’s rules and disciplinary code can be found here: